Pages

Wednesday 28 August 2019

Year 10 Social Studies l The first Ancient Egyptian door lock

The first door lock was made by Egyptians at around 4000 B.C., it was a pin tumbler lock, how it worked was a hollowed-out bolt in the door was connected to pins that could be manipulated by the key being inserted, when the key gets pushed upward on the pins, they move away from the bolt shaft allowing it to be withdrawn.
One bad thing about these locks was their size, the biggest ones were up to 2 feet. Egyptian locks actually were more secure than the technology later made by the Romans, who used a simpler design with a spring instead of a bolt to hold the door in place. The Roman locks were hidden inside the door, but compared to the Egyptian locks, they were pretty easy to pick.

Egyptian door lock:
Image result for Ancient Egyptian door lock

Roman door lock:
Image result for Ancient Roman spring door lock

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.