Pages

Tuesday 21 May 2019

Year 10 Social Studies l My story (incomplete)

Our trip to New Zealand


Prologue:
Here’s a short description of some of the story: This story is going to take place in the 1800s and will be focusing on 2 characters named Gilbert Ross and Phil Walter and these 2 will be going on a trip to New Zealand on a ship. As you go through the story, you will find out how these 2 met and what happens on the ship on the way to NZ. You can proceed reading now and I hope you find this story interesting.


Chapter 1 - Tough Times:
1852: My name is Gilbert, I’m 19 and I just got fired from my job as a chimney sweeper because of an incident involving a chimney collapsing onto a child.
My trip to New Zealand is in 2 days and I don’t have enough money for the trip, I don’t know what to do, I don’t have enough time to get the money I need, and no one is willing to help me out.
The trip costs $100 to go into the steerage part of the ship and it costs $200 to get into first class and I can’t even afford the poor section because I have only got $42 so I have decided to make and sell food.
I’ve decided to make some baked beans and I will sell them for $4 each, I waited and waited for people to come past to buy some beans but no one wanted any so I decided to go to another part of town to sell my baked beans, a part in town where there are more people.
2 hours later, It’s been 2 hours and I’ve only had 2 people buy some baked beans so then that’s when I decided to give up because I thought I would never get enough money to get on the ship and it was leaving in only half an hour so I went over to a bench to watch the ship sail off… until a man came over to me to sit next to me, he said: “Hey, my name’s Phil Walter, are you going to New Zealand on that ship” and then I told him that I did not have enough money and that I was really looking forward to going to NZ and I also told him that my name was Gilbert Ross.
He noticed that I was quite upset so he decided he was going to pay for me, I tried to tell him that he didn’t have to waste his money just to pay for my trip but he insisted so he paid for us to go into the steerage area and we finally had gotten on the ship.
I’m finally going to NZ and made a new friend as well, Phil Walter.


Chapter 2 - Learning about Phil:
I could tell this would be quite a long trip so I got a book to read during my trip and it is called “History of Waltonia” by Stewart Walton, as I was peacefully reading my book, Phil came over and closed my book the proceeded saying “Come on, let’s go find something better to do than read a book”.
Considering I didn’t have anything better to do in my spare time, I joined him and so we were on our way to the canteen to buy some lunch because we decided that would be the best place to talk to each other, plus I was quite hungry.
We got some food, Phil got some Salmon by itself and I had a Salmon sandwich so something we have in common is that we both like Salmon.
“So,” Phil said, “How come you couldn’t afford a ticket, did you get fired? Did you not get a job at all?” I responded with a depressing tone “Yea, I got fired from my job…because of an incident relating to a….um….chimney falling onto a child…BUT it was an accident!” and then Phil said, “I’m guessing you were a chimney sweeper, oh well I hope you find another good job in NZ”.
We talked for about half an hour and it turns out that Phil is a very good person to talk to and a pretty funny guy so we both decided to take a walk outside the ship where we could look at the ocean.
I said, “Aaaahhh, look at the water, it’s so calm and pretty, the wind is nice and cool as well isn’t it?” Phil replied with “Yea... it is pretty nice out here” I then say “What do ya say we hang out together when we arrive in New Zealand, get a coffee maybe” but I notice that Phil’s face turned pale, I asked him what was wrong and then he pointed into the distance, I looked in the direction he was pointing and then I felt a sick feeling in my stomach.
Phil says in a terrified tone “There’s a storm coming...”.


Chapter 3 - The Storm:
Me and Phil run to see the captain telling him about the dark grey, almost black clouds in the distance and he said “I’ve noticed and I will be notifying everyone on this ship about our problem but I think we will make it through, It doesn’t look too bad and the ship should handle going through that storm”.
Then Phil says “Well, our captain is a lunatic, well our best chance is to pray that we make it through this alive”.
Half an hour later, the ship is now in the storm and the waves are going wild and crashing against the ship, Phil and I are outside the ship watching over the waters just wondering what’s going to happen, “will the ship tip over?” I wondered but just as we were starting to lose hope, I saw 2 islands in the distance and I remember NZ was split into 2 islands so that must have been NZ, I told Phil and his face lit up and so we went into the Captain’s quarters to tell him.
We let him know and then he told us that we were going to make it, I heard everyone in the ship screaming when they noticed that we were in a storm because most of them were asleep before.
We kept on heading forwards when all of a sudden, a lightning bolt hit the water metres away from the ship and the lightning splashed a lot of the water onto the ship and most of the water hit Phil and knocked him back into the railing knocking him out in the proccess, I ran to help until another wave hits the ship making it tip over a bit making me trip and fall, making me slide into a wall.
Then I blacked out.


Chapter 4: -
When I woke up, surprisingly, the ship was ok and so was Phil, something even more surprising is that we had arrived in NZ.

“I don’t believe it,” Phil says,

That was pretty much how it was going to end anyway, all I was gonna do was say that they were gonna work the same job (not sure what job they would do) and they would keep in contact and live happily ever after. The End!

If you liked my story then tell me what you thought about it down in the comments and I ran out of time to do my story so sorry about that, let me know what I should have worked on and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.